Adoption IS an Option
You have hope – we can help. We offer confidential services to you. You are free to contact us without fear of anyone knowing. You may call and ask questions whether you make an adoption plan in the end or choose to parent your child. We would be glad to talk with you and you are free from any obligation.
Every birthmother has her own set of strengths, challenges and problems, as well as resources and values. There is no “typical” client. Our clients have ranged in age from 12 to 44. Each client’s reason for choosing adoption was as unique as her circumstances.
Adoption may be a good option for you in your situation and an alternative to abortion for an unplanned pregnancy. Adoption is nothing like what is shown in TV movies. It has changed dramatically in the past few years – you have many choices!
- Birthmothers have choices and rights!
- The right to be involved in all phases of the adoption plan.
- The right to choose and meet the adoptive family that is perfect for your child.
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- The right to have your questions answered honestly.
- The right to have your relationship with your child and your grief and loss acknowledged.
- The right to continue to receive support and counseling after making an adoption plan.
Adoption is NOT abandonment!
Adoption is choosing a family for a child when you are not at a place in your life to provide stability or a two-parent family. Published studies have shown that adopted children are typically happy, well-adjusted and have a high level of self-esteem. When they choose to search for their birth mother, it is often to say, “Thank you for making what must have been a difficult decision for you. I have had a blessed life with loving parents.”
Maybe this is not your first pregnancy and friends and family have offered to help you and have not followed through. Maybe you feel that you simply cannot care for this child. Maybe you are a student or are having financial difficulties. Whatever your situation, you don’t need to feel guilty. Many birth mothers with an unplanned have chosen adoption instead of abortion and have been very happy with their decision.
Just as we all look different physically, we are all made differently emotionally. We work to tailor an adoption plan that fits YOUR needs specifically.
You have the option of choosing and meeting the adoptive couple . Each couple is thoroughly screened so that we can assure you that your baby will be placed in a loving, secure Christian home.
Your can write your own adoption story. It can look however you want it to. You set the level of contact that makes you comfortable. You have options:
- Open adoption – you can choose and meet the family and have the option of seeing the child again in the future.
- Semi-open adoption – you may choose and meet the family, but ongoing contact is handled through the agency – the family will sent pictures and letters to keep you updated about the child’s progress. You can send presents, letters, and photos as well.
- Confidential adoption. You may choose the family if you wish, but you have the option of having no contact after placement.
You have the option of seeing the baby and spending as much time as you wish with the baby while you are in the hospital. If you want the adoptive couple to begin bonding with the baby, you may request that they have access to the baby in the nursery.
Birthfathers have legal rights and if a birthfather is unsure about adoption or just doesn’t know much about it, we would be glad to meet with him or talk by phone. If he states that he does not wish to participate, it is still possible to make an adoption plan. If you choose adoption and work with an agency, the birthfather situation can be handled by the agency to protect you if necessary.
Adoption is NOT foster care. Foster care is temporary. Adoption is permanent and stable.
Parenting a child is a commitment to provide a stable, loving and permanent home for a child. If you don’t believe you are able to provide that at this point in your life for whatever reason, adoption is a good option and it may be the best option for you.
“You took my dream of a ‘perfect’ adoption and made it a reality: my daughter will have a wonderful home life and I’ll still have her as part of my life. You championed my cause and I can never thank you enough!”
Shalom, Age 26
Click hear to see what birthmothers said about their adoption experiences.